Friday, July 11, 2014

Value Your Independence

When I was younger, I saw my mom being the man of the house. My dad was working out of country and so she was the one paying all the bills, fees, getting grocery, putting dinner on the table and making sure that her kids grow up as humans. She was living in a joint family system, managing a house and raising three kids.


And even when we were coming to KSA, she was the one doing the embassy rounds, making sure we had everything we needed from School Certificates to new bed sheets.

On top of it all, my father would challenge us siblings to see who would go furthest in the sea. When he taught me how to ride a bike, he would not rush to pick up the fallen bicycle, I had to do it. And I learnt riding a bike in two nights.

Along the ride, I was also taught the same thing. I was taught to do things. deal with situations and find solutions on my own. From wearing socks to getting in a fight at school, I was doing it myself. I used to tell them the daily happenings. They would listen and laugh at it, but never tell me what to or not to do.

That was always my call. Sometimes I made a good one. Sometimes a bad one.

And that has molded me into the person I am today.

Yes, I had to tell them when I was going out or if I was staying after school. Yes, they said no to a lot of things.

I really appreciate that. Because over the years, there have been times when I had no idea what to do but I did it anyway. Because I was taught that. And I ended up learning a lot from it.

Independence is one of the best things life has to offer. You do not need someone else to back you up if you believe in your own words. You cannot always wait for someone to fill out your Visa application forms. Or bake the cookies that you need to take to a party.

At the end of the day, no one else is going to come and clean the mess of your life.

You have to get up and go do it. Otherwise, you end up being the worst version of yourself.

Do not become Scarlette O'Hara. Become Jane Eyre or Elizabeth Bennet.

...SAP...



No comments:

Post a Comment