Wednesday, July 02, 2014

30 Day Challenge: Day 2

Day 2 Tell about a character who lost something important to him/her.

My name is Omar Ahmad. I was born in Gulshan Iqbal, Karachi on a night where lightning and a dark storm had engulfed the whole city. Being the only kid gave me everything I wanted. I had a never ending pocket money, bicycle, a laptop, Play Station and its various games, Limited Edition Nikes and the latest phone in my hand.

I finished Elementary school. And went on to the prestigious Agha Khan Secondary School because it was my fathers dream. I barely got in by a minute percentage difference.

Besides I had nothing to worry about as long as my fees was being paid and I had money in my pockets. During my school years, I wanted a bike. So my father went ahead and bought me one.

Than I wanted to go on a trip around Pakistan, with my friends. I knew that a my father's sister was getting married and money was a little tight. But I asked for a couple grand and he handed me the money without a question or a crease in his forehead.

Than came university. My father's only life mission was to make me an engineer. Because he could never become one. So he lavished his hard work on me to make me succeed and see his dreams being fulfilled.

Only I did not want to do anything. Period.

I wanted to enjoy life. I wanted to sleep till 3 in the afternoon, roam around with my friends and spend money like the millionaire I never was.

I made him promise me to buy a car if I got in, in a university.

I got admission in the most pathetic university of the city. But I got what I wanted. A brand new car, to show off to my friends and smoke in.

In the middle of my university years, a friend of mine went to the states. I saw his pictures and heard his bragging about American girls and making money the easy way. I decided to go as well.

I asked him for money. I told him what I wanted it for. And I was so blind, I did not even see the tears brimming in his eyes, his callous hands and white hair telling a story of hardships and sacrifices.

I got the visa. I booked the ticket. And I came here. I left him. I left the thing that should have been most precious to me. But I was so selfish to ever see that.

I lost the most important thing in my life on purpose.

...SAP...

No comments:

Post a Comment