Friday, June 07, 2013

Author Review: Sidney Sheldon

Date of birth : February 11, 1917.
Date of death: January 30. 2007

Nationality: American

Sidney Sheldon is my moms favourite writer and she was the one who introduced me to him. Master of the Game was the first book of his that I read, given to me by a friend. I love the way he turns a simple, normal story into an  adventure but keeping it very real and true to life. His books always have a very strong story line and it is hard to find loopholes. His books are on my to make a collection list.

When I started reading Sheldon books, I realised that people have a very bad image of his books in their minds. They have this idea that his books are filled with explicit content. His books have been called 'trashy' and 'melodramatic'. I was accused of reading his books due to this reason. What people fail to notice is the fact that every author has nude scenes in their books. One example is Nora Roberts. She gets a free pass because of writing romance.

Honestly, I love the fact that he has written about women and from every angle. Even today women are underestimated everywhere in everything. He portrays his women as beautiful protagonists who are storng and charming. Moreover, they use their femininity as their weapon.

He is the seventh best fiction selling author of all time, selling over 600 million copies. He also holds the record of being the most translated author, his books being translated into 51 languages.

His Words:
"I try to write my books so the reader can't put them down," he explained in a 1982 interview. "I try to construct them so when the reader gets to the end of it, he or she has to read just one more chapter. It's the technique of the old Saturday afternoon serial: leave the guy hanging on the edge of the cliff at the end of the chapter."
"I like to write about women who are talented and capable, but most important, retain their femininity. Women have tremendous power — their femininity, because men can't do without it."
 "I love writing books. Movies are a collaborative medium, and everyone is second-guessing you. When you do a novel you're on your own. It's a freedom that doesn't exist in any other medium."
If I write about a place, I have been there. If I write about a meal in Indonesia, I have eaten there in that restaurant. I don’t think you can fool the reader’.

Author of books:

The Naked Face (1970, novel)
The Other Side of Midnight (1974, novel)
A Stranger in the Mirror (1975, novel)
Bloodline (1977, novel)
Rage of Angels (1980, novel)
Master of the Game (1982, novel)
If Tomorrow Comes (1985, novel)
Windmills of the Gods (1987, novel)
The Sands of Time (1988, novel)
Memories of Midnight (1990, novel)
The Doomsday Conspiracy (1991, novel)
Nothing Lasts Forever (1994, novel)
Morning, Noon & Night (1995, novel)
The Best Laid Plans (1997, novel)
Tell Me Your Dreams (1998, novel)
The Sky is Falling (2000, novel)
The Other Side of Me (2005, memoir)



...SAP...







No comments:

Post a Comment