Tuesday, January 20, 2015

He Meets People

We agree to meet outside Forever 21 after praying. Then he heads off to right while I go straight and then turn left, going to our respective prayer areas. After I have prayed, browsed around in Forever 21 for a good 20 minutes while keeping an eye outside, he is still not near the pillar with that exotic blue wallpaper. I make a trip right across the pillar, to H&M, buying earrings for a killer price of 5 QR. I come back to the designated area, when I spot him talking to someone with a smile on his face and a persona of amiableness.

This was when we were shopping in the Dubai Mall. 


It was our last day in the city. We had woken up pretty late. But had prayed Duhr in the Haram, and Asr as well. We decided to stay for the other two prayers as well, thinking that a trip to the hotel and back would cost us one of the prayers. We went for lunch at the Makkah Towers and ordered Steakhouse Burger from Burger King which was massive compared to the one in Qatar. In that half an hour, I also managed to do some damage on the pocket and get diamonds. We came back to the Haram and went to the bathroom to freshen up. When we met up, he tells me that he just met up with a colleague of his from the previous company he worked in, in Qatar. 

This was when we went for Umrah in Makkah. 

I managed to drag him to the book fair. He follows me like a disgruntled child, looking quiet the man in an all black ensemble, while I went from bookstall to bookstall, spewing out anger over the lack of books and the excess of crap. I come to terms with the fact that I have to do with that amount of books for now, so I start looking seriously and completely forget the world around me. When I turn to find the sales man, I see him shaking hands with a man and saying something to him. 

This was in the Convention Center Qatar. 

The first guy was someone he played with, in one of his cricket teams. The second, a colleague from a previous company and the third, was a guy he used to say Hi to everyday in the lift of his previous employer. He didn't even know the name of the last one. 

This is not normal for him. For he is not a very social person. He does not have tons of friends. He doesn't hang out with his buddies on the weekends or stay out late watching movies. He doesn't keep up with where his friends from school are. He hates attending social dinners and weddings. 

But he meets people. And people meet him. He is well liked by them all. I find this enchanting and a little surreal. I have seen people flocked to my mother but that is because she is social to the core. Over the past months, there have been many more encounters but these were the ones I remembered. 

I do not know what it is it that makes this happen but its cool to say the least. 

The only people I see are the ones who are necessary to run away from, for my own good.

...SAP...



No comments:

Post a Comment