Wednesday, January 01, 2014

Top Ten Books I Read in 2013

I haven't done Top Ten Tuesday in a while, mainly because I have been slacking at reading books. But as the year comes to an end, their last topic is Top Ten Books I read in 2013. So I decided to write down mine. Here they are:


1. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak:

This books is just amazing. I had no idea what the book was about but it ended up becoming one of my all time favourites. Its narrated by death, set in Nazi Germany and it includes books as the title suggests. This book made me truly appreciate good writing and my love for words grew. Its just so beautiful that one had to read it oneself.

2. I Am The Messenger by Markus Zusak:

When I read an awesome book, I tend to read all the books by the same author. So I picked this one with not much hope. I don't even know what to say. Its equally beautiful. The story is worlds apart. The concept of the book is so simple and that is where its beauty lies. The love one feels after doing simple tasks for someone else and becoming selfless for a single second.

3. Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult:

I had to include a Jodi Picoult in the top ten. Its one of JP's best works that I have read. I read it just after finishing high school. So the impact was far more intense on me. Because the story is based on bullying and I had seen it firsthand in my school. I love how JP makes a victim into a hero and a hero into a victim. At the end, there is no one hero or one victim. Everyone is half half in their life. And I cannot express enough love for the way she writes and her similes.

4. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green:

Yes. I am sure that this book is on everyone's top ten list. I loved it to bits. It was just one of those heart breaking books that you don't forget as time passes by. The story was so well written. The characters were perfect. I started crying from the part where Augustus tells Hazel about his cancer. And I didn't stop till the end.

5. Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn:

This was one of the most different books I have ever read. But because I love thrillers and suspense, I loved it. It was creepy, horrifying, completely different from what you would expect from a story revolving around a married couple. I loved how intricate the story was with all the tiny details tied together with threads. It reminded me of how J.K.Rowling has linked everything together in HP.

6. Arabian Nights:

It was one of the very few classics I read this year. And it was really good. The book jumps from one story to another than goes into another like Inception. Its pretty cool. I literally had to go back a couple of time to make sure that I am not losing track of the story. I have read a lot about that Arab era and I myself live in an Arab country.

7. The Running Man by Stephen King:

Its no secret that I am not a horror fan meaning a Stephen King fan. But I read this book on the insisting of a friend. And its brilliant. Its a dystopian novel. King wrote in 1982 when the term "dystopian" didn't even exist. It just shows how brilliant of a mind he has. The story is simple with not a lot of complicating characters. Its raw and you realize that today, society is not much different than the one told in the book.

8. The Sea of Tranquility by Katja Millay: 

This was again a recommendation by a friend. I loved all of the characters in it. I was so happy to read about their different hobbies because I grew up with a lot of hobbies. But sadly, the idea is dead these days where people mention watching movies as their hobby. She has written a brilliant book on teenage struggles and the life that we lead.

9. The Time Travelers Wife by Audrey Niffenegger:

Whenever I mention this book, I am reminded of the story associated with it. Lets just say that a friend of mine was caught reading it in class. The book was taken away from her. And we stole it back from the Vice Principal's office. It was a hysterical drama which lasted a week or so. But it came my favourite the minute I read it. Its the perfect love story I have ever read. I am amazed at Niffenegger, at how she took such a difficult concept and executed it perfectly.

10. Against Medical Advice:

I had read so many heart breaking books the past summer that I opened this book with the intention of a light murder read. Because that is what James Patterson does. Instead I found myself reading about the struggles of a young boy who has no control over his mind and thus his body. I found myself feeling helpless and crying for him. And the fact that its a true story made me see the strength that we as youngsters have in ourselves. I loved how he made sure to emerge as a winner.

So this is my top ten books I read in 2013 list. I hope that you had an amazing year. And that your list is great.

Adieu !

S
......

No comments:

Post a Comment